September 11, 2019

Mad Scientist

Megan the Mad Scientist, age 8 / Grade 3; 1994.
---

I am going to lay this photograph here as it is a favourite of mine, captured by my mother during a pivotal time in the development of my character. Halloween 1994. Grade three class party. Blue food colouring in a wacky bottle to complete the Mad Scientist look. Why was my mom there I wonder? Glad she was to catch the moment. I remember feeling very empowered by this look. Dad's blazer, Grandpa Syd's tie. Not pictured, an enormous pair of trick ears that one could pull a string back and forth through each ear via a tube style headband hidden under the wig. Hot and tight contraption, not for the faint of heart. This character was one of my favourites to play on my "Mad Scientist radio show" (which in reality was just me recording a meandering, nonsensical program in different voices--nary a thing to do with science).

Today I slipped this physical photograph into a letter addressed to my dear friend Leo (nearly eight himself and in Grade 3 this year). Had Leo and I been children at the same time, we would have been fast friends methinks. Two little weirdos looking from the outside in, bonded in eccentric solidarity :) Had I discovered Harry Potter at seven, my mind would have been blown also. Thanks be to Leo Isadore for the introduction of dear Harry into my life.

I am not really sure what I am trying to say here. I suppose I simply miss my young friend since he moved to Vancouver last week. Two weeks before he left for the west, his mom Colette (a mentor and friend of mine) gave me a ring asking for a favour: "Hi Meg, would you be willing to bake a cake and attend a surprise Seven and a Half birthday party for Leo in the next hour? He needs this." Why yes, yes I could. Never in my life have I whipped up a carrot cake so quickly! With the addition of some shitty store-bought icing, about an inch of rainbow sprinkles and a pack of ten marble balloons from the corner store later, we were in business. One half plus seven candles flickered as Leo blazed into the parlour with his caregiver Mel and exclaimed in delight, "IS THIS FOR ME??????". Why yes! We had a delightful party (Leo, his best bud Jo plus three women who love him). I gifted him a special navy woollen cape with a brilliant red interior that I had thrifted about a decade ago and have been hanging on to. I wore it about once a year when I needed to pack a punch for my annual Witch costume at Halloween. But he needed it more than I.

In the card I wrote "wear this cape for courage". Well, it has been three weeks and he has been wearing it everyday I hear. My hope is that someone takes note of his courage and appreciates his bold spirit and welcomes him into their fold.

Love from one Mad Scientist to the Harry Potter of my heart. Wind in your sails, boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment