June 10, 2017

Stawberry Moon

I dream of silk beach pajamas. Someday I will make some for myself.

--- 

I am trying to get back to work at my illustration practice. Getting myself to my table feels like pulling a stubborn ram by the horns in the opposite direction of desire. Yet once I am there, pulling ink is incredibly meditative. My fountain pens and ink have been collecting dust for too long. I recently shined one up and made these two line drawings in quick succession with the idea in mind to eventually print them on fabric for pillows and other linens 'n things up Margot Pollo's sleeve. One step at a time Dolly. The addition of the rose water on these sunny girls came this afternoon while battling a fierce hangover. Focusing hard on painting helped kick it to the curb.

In honor of the marriage between two dear friends of mine and Iain's, we celebrated in excellent company last night under the light of the moon. Grant and Rebecca wed at City Hall on the full Strawberry Moon of June surrounded by a loving community of friends and family. I had the privilage of capturing the course of their wedding day with my Kiev in one hand and Iain's Canon AE-1 around my neck. The rain came and washed the Bride's parent's farm yard good and proper throughout the evening but it never put a damper on the festivities! The smell of wet soil and the last of the Lilacs made for a heady and fresh atmosphere. Around nine the sky cleared, the moon rose and the fire burned hot. Candles placed into champagne bottles dripped freely. The wind felt warm on bare skin as the light sank. It was a magical gathering to say the very least. I can hardly wait to see this one photograph of Grant and Rebecca walking down a gravel road under an umbrella as the last night of day sank low. My gal Tony Chestnut made a custom wedding dress for the bride made out of linen the colour of dove grey. Mercy! What a time to be young and alive!

Adios, my cowboy and I are off to deliver to the groom the loveliest cowboy hat discovered this very afternoon at the Nearly New to You shop on Portage Avenue. Best six dollar wedding gift I can think of. Now it is time to hit the back roads once again with my most loved person and savour the warm air upon our bare arms while we celebrate Grant and Rebecca for the second night in a row. Celebration! How do they call it in Ukrainian? Propravinia? партія після вечірки! Party after the party!

---

When in need of inspiration to draw, I look to circus imagery captured around the turn of the century.

No comments:

Post a Comment